24 June 2007

Akathist of Thanksgiving

A selection from the Akathist of Thanksgiving written by Fr Gregory Petroff, a new martyr of Russia.

KONTAKION 2
Lord, how good it is to be Your guest; the delicately scented wind, the mountains stretching to the sky, the waters reflecting like infinite mirrors, the golden rays of sun, the airiness of clouds. All nature secretly whispers, full of tenderness, and even the birds and beasts bear the mark of Your Love. Blessed is mother earth with her transient beauty, longing for the homeland which is eternal and where an imperishable beauty rings out: Alleluia.

Ikos
You brought me into this life as into an enchanting paradise. The sky is a deep blue vessel of azure out of which rings the sound of birds; there is the rustling sound of the forest and the sweet sounding music of the waters; the fragrant and sweet fruit and honey which we eat. It is good to be with You on earth, joyous to be Your guest:
Glory to You, for the festival of life,
Glory to You, for the fragrant lilies of the valley and the roses,
Glory to You, for the delectable variety of berries and fruits,
Glory to You, for the morning dew, shining like diamonds,
Glory to You, for the smile of awakening enlightenment,
Glory to You, for all that is heavenly, foreshadowing eternal life,
Glory to You, O God, unto ages of ages.

-------------------------
KONTAKION 10
That which is broken cannot be restored, but You can set aright those whose conscience has become decayed; You restore the soul to its former beauty in those who have lost it beyond all hope. With You there is nothing that cannot be put aright. You are all love. You are the Creator and the Restorer. To You we sing praise: Alleluia!


Ikos
My God, You Who know the fall of the proud angel, save me through the power of Your grace, do not let me fall away from You, do not allow me to doubt You. Sharpen my hearing so that every minute of my life I can hear Your mysterious voice, and call to You Who are everywhere present:
Glory to You, for providential coincidences,
Glory to You, for the gift of premonitions,
Glory to You, for the guidance of a secret inner voice,
Glory to You, for revelations in dreams and when awake,
Glory to You, Who destroy our useless plans,
Glory to You, Who sober us from the heat of passions with suffering,
Glory to You, Who humble pride of heart to save us,
Glory to You, O God, unto ages of ages.

You can get the complete text and order the cd from Saint Ignatius Church.

2 comments:

Justinian said...

I just wanted to say thanks for the comment on my death cult post. I'm glad that you got something out of my blathering that, I hope, doesn't stray too far into vanity.

I'm also incredibly flattered that I've made it to your favorite blogs list. I'll try not to disappoint!

sub clementia,
Justinian

Justinian said...

If I might ask, how did you discover my blog? It's fairly new, so I'm almost sure that it hasn't got enough material on it to generate into the blogger post lists yet...

Thanks again for the kind words. If you ever want to chat Orthodoxy, feel free to contact me at justinian.bab@gmail.com