06 July 2007

Why I Cover My Head (in church)

My first time visiting All Saints of Russia Orthodox Church was memorable for many reasons, covering my head for the first time was one of them. I knew that the women there did it and thought that I wouldn't mind until it was time to actually don the scarf and go to church. Suddenly I felt extremely self-conscious. I remembered all those times we kids teased mom about the days she wore a "doily" on her head (Plymouth Brethren). It wasn't long, though, before I forgot about my scarf as I experienced the rest of the Liturgy.

There is actually quite a bit of discussion in the Orthodox circle about head-covering in church, particularly amongst converts here in the west. Those on the fence about it and those who choose not to cover have a variety of reasons. In my opinion, none of them adequately address the issue of St Paul's command.

Growing up in the Protestant church where women (for the most part) don't cover their heads, I was never quite sure what to make of 1 Corinthians 11:1-16. Seeing that no one had any interest in head-covering, I figured there must be some alternative interpretation for this passage that I simply was not getting. I couldn't just forget about it, though, especially since the part about women not speaking out was still held dear. I always whole-heartedly agreed that women have no place in the pastoral role (clergy) since St Paul was quite clear on the matter. But then again, he also seemed quite clear on charging women to cover their heads. Eventually I was finally given the answer as to why this rule of dress was no longer followed: it is culturally out-dated.

For me, once I got over my self-consciousness I embraced the "new" custom and never looked back. I no longer had to do a mental dance, accepting the one command and loosely rationalizing away the other. I honestly believe that if there were a concern about modesty regarding hygiene or some special cultural issue, he would have mentioned it specifically as he did in 1 Cor. 8 concerning food sacrificed to animals. Paul is often recognized for his direct approach and clarity. In this case the reasons for a woman to cover her head and for a man not to are clearly spiritual and not cultural.

Overall I believe with the Fathers that such practices of humility and obedience have great spiritual benefit...although I still find myself a slave to pride (Lord, have mercy).

I know many will disagree with me about this issue. That is okay. It is never my intention to point an invisible finger at anyone. After all, judging those who do not practice this will most certainly defeat the whole purpose.

As a conclusion, please consider St Paul's words once more. I recently reread this passage for the first time in a long while. It struck me powerfully.

"I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings, just as I passed them on to you. Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is just as though her head were shaved. If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.

"In the Lord, however, woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God. Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice--nor do the churches of God."

3 comments:

Brigitte said...

My friend left this comment on my myspace blog and has allowed me to copy it here. I thought she did a great job summarizing the general feeling (from what I've heard people say) about St Paul and his teachings on women.

"To be honest with you Brig, my immediate reaction to the passage you quoted is frustration & anger. I don't understand the inequality of women in religious settings! I have met many women of wisdom and passion who should be preaching from behind a pulpit. We as women are restricted in how we can serve our communities by patriarchal societies & religions simply because of the fact that we have vagina's. Poor reasoning in my opinion.(: I don't like the way Paul talks about women in his writings and never have. I don't agree that somehow men are "the image and glory of God" when women are simply "the glory of men". It seems like he is saying that women are separated from God by a degree more than men; that we can only reach God through our pastors, husbands, fathers, etc. I don't understand Paul's reasoning. It doesn't make me angry that Paul believed what he wrote, it makes me angry that the greatest religious influence in this country and in Europe (Christianity in all its forms) has latched on so strongly his ridiculous beliefs.

I weirdest thing about Paul's words is that they contrast strongly with the great honor Jesus gave to the women in his life. I think that Jesus would have loved for there to be more women in leadership.

I don't mean to be ugly in writing this. I just believe that the horrible things that happen to women all over the world would be lessened if there was more respect given to the feminine.

Brig, I find you to be such a paradox because you are such a strong woman with a very respectful and honoring husband. Perhaps that is why it is easy for you to willingly be his glory (which you most certainly are) and allow him full headship over you. I greatly respect you and Andrei's relationship & your beliefs. I am not such a graceful follower (: "

Xen Xen said...

I have been keeping up with your blogs on all sites and since I do not have a myspace account and that has the most activity on this subject, I will respond here with reference to a lot of things said thus far.
Firstly, bravo for being brave enough to put this out there for the world to see, we need much more of it!
Secondly, it is understandable that people are getting this caught in their "craw", so to speak. When we live in a Western world and the Christianity that has spawned from thus is a misunderstood, at best, version of the original, and, as we all know, copies do not have the same face value as the original. What I find interesting, that as part of your Faith, you share these things, but is it because you do not have a specific title that you are somehow NOT "preaching" the Word of God? It is the Protestant church that is being left by many and yet people seem to hold their (Protestant) ideals over Truth. We also need to remind ourselves that preaching is not a large part of Truth, just because we talk about something a lot, doesn't make it any more true or right.
I would also like to say that when it comes to oppression, I personally feel that the only thing oppressing me is myself...in that, I allow myself to be oppressed by certain ideals, thoughts, experiences, etc. That this world of Men and culture is what is helping to uphold our individual oppression, keeping it alive and well...that only through true spiritual connection with God and His Church can we free ourselves of our self-inflicted bonds of oppression. I have lived a lifestyle different than my current one and have thought many of the things that people think when you are doing so, and let me say from experience, it is much better where I am right now...I actually encounter periods of peace, Glory be to God.
I hope that this doesn't offend anyone and if it does, please forgive me, a sinner. In Christ, Xen

Brigitte said...

As you said, Xen, this is a hot subject and there have been some hot words shared in the comments of my myspace blog. Any interested should check it out.