15 February 2008

as a little child




"Let the little children come to Me,and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it"

It is necessary, however, to examine what is the meaning of being babes in wickedness, and how a man becomes so, while in mind a grown man. A babe then, as knowing either very little or nothing at all, is justly acquitted of the charge of depravity and wickedness; and so it is also our duty to endeavor to be like them in the very same way, by putting habits of wickedness entirely away from us, so we too may be regarded as men who do not even know the pathway leading to guile, but who, unconscious of malice and fraud, live in a simple manner, practicing gentleness and a priceless humility, and readily forbearing from wrath and spitefulness. For such we affirm are the qualities found in those who are still babes.
(St Cyril of Alexandria. Commentary on the Gospel of St. Luke, Homily #121.)


"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Thy presence and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation and with Thy governing Spirit establish me." (Ps 50)

4 comments:

Justinian said...

Lent is coming, so no doubt that is why I have become more pensive about my own sins recently.

The two big conditions placed on salvation concern one's wealth, and one's innocence (camels through needles eyes, in addition to becoming as a little child); I despair, at times, if anyone in the western world can find salvation. I am reminded of Charles Williams' poem, "The Prayers of the Pope" which has such a wonderful refrain: "Send not, send not, the rich empty away." Perhaps that should be my prayer as well.

May He who humbled himself and took on the nature of a servant by becoming a little child for the sake of our salvation, lead us to a spiritual cleansing of our minds, hearts, and souls, so that we may become child-like in innocence once again, and enter fully into His kingdom. Amen+

Martha said...

I've saved that photo...I hope you don't mind. It's beautiful.

We missed church 2 weeks ago because we were sick and Olivia who is 4 told me "We should go for Holy Communion, it will make us better." I didn't want to get anyone else sick, but ideally, she was right.

Tony said...

I remember Fulton Sheen once saying that no one is born an atheist because no one is born with doubt, it is something we learn as we grow older. I have to say I somewhat felt that experienced in my own spiritual life. As a youth I accepted the Christian faith willingly, then as I grew older I grew more doubtful, and had an inner fear of experiencing God's love. I'm happy that now my life seems to be on the right track, or the best I can find it.

Brigitte said...

testing comments...