02 February 2007

our future

Had another wake-up call last night. It's all stuff I already pretty much knew, only I never thought about it long enough to look at the big picture. Basically because of the way our country has chosen to conduct business, we're on the way down.

We are a militant nation feeding our captialist appetite in the name of democracy. We stand alone, do not follow international laws, and you better accept it or else. We rule the world, or didn't you know? In our country, everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others. Right to privacy, a speedy and fair trial, freedom of speech and free press say goodbye. Don't worry it's for the best...for our country's mighty 1%.

Sound extreme? It's not. One terrorist act and suddenly the nation willingly gives up the above rights out of fear of the unknown. (Don't get me wrong, it was a massive, terrible tragedy to say the least.) It even gives up its power of reason and discernment. Outright lies are not noticed or just plain ignored. We support a war for which we are given no good reason, only ideas. What will we agree to if one more bomb goes off in America?

I know many people will think that I'm just getting all fired up when really things are going fine--that I need to stop watching these liberal videos. But as I said, they talk about things that anyone could figure out for themselves if they thought about it for 5 minutes. I don't want to naively think that my dreams will come true in magic America no matter what the government is up to. When a government falls, we all suffer. What will the fall of America look like? Probably economic. There goes the Dream. I don't know what I can possibly do about it at this point, but I figure I want to be an informed citizen so when an opportunity arises I'll notice it and take action.

You should watch Why We Fight or go to the website. I know there are different ways to view all this, and I certainly don't have a great political mind so let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Xen Xen said...

A friend of mine once said that the fall of America is in the pavement. That when the roads cease to exist we will all freak out. Just remember what happened during the snow storm this december when the delivery trucks could not get in to stock the grocery and gas. I am sure it was a bit in jest but it is a bit true as we seem to rely immensely on big business in order to survive no matter how we would all like to think otherwise. We don't like feeling helpless and anything that makes us feel that way, watch out! I am not very political either, just some 2 cents.

Brigitte said...

That's a good point. I think we don't have many good options at this point. We need oil from the middle east and just about everything else from China. We either need to be friends or we need to take over. Being friends with communists and dictators doesn't look good and going to war is always a bad option. Too bad most of us are too greedy and lazy to invest in our own farmers, industry, recyling and alternate energy sources. In the end, I guess the government is still empowered by the people, either by our action or lack thereof.