27 August 2008

the Dormition of the Most-Holy Theotokos



Congratulations with the Feast!

Tonight's service touched me, and I found the following songs especially beautiful, the words and the tunes (too bad you can't hear it--next time you should join me!)


O ye Apostles, having gathered here from the ends of the earth,
bury my body in Gethsemane.
And do Thou, O my Son and God,
receive my spirit. (Extapastilarion)


When the Translation of thy most pure tabernacle was being prepared,
the apostles surrounded thy deathbed and looked upon thee with dread,
and as they gazed at thy body, they were filled with awe.
In tears Peter cried aloud to thee:
'O undefiled Virgin
I see thee who art the life of all mankind lying here outstreched,
and I am struck with wonder:
for He who is the delight of the future life
made His dwelling in thee.
Pray, then, fervently to thy Son and God
to save thy flock from harm.' (Tone 6--)

2 comments:

Martha said...

S prazdnikom!!! We enjoyed an early Liturgy today...8am. My sister who moved to Ottawa said their weekday Liturgies begin at 7am, to accomodate those who have to go to work!

Brigitte said...

7am is EARLY! Well, if it makes them better attended than not...but wow :)