05 April 2008

Oprah has her own church, too?

I received an email about this and found it interesting, though not very surprising:

On March 3, 2008, 300K people gathered for Oprah Winfrey’s Church. Now there are 2 million members.

Some of their teachings:
~ Denies Christ’s sacrificial death
~ There is no sin
~ There are millions of ways to ’salvation’
~ Christians are confused
~ Salvation comes from ’me’
~ Teaches the ’New Age Christ’
~ etc. etc.

This is interesting and noteworthy since I bet many faithful followers of Oprah probably thought she was a Christian. Truth is, she seems to "feel" a truth (watch the vid) that may acknowledge Christ, but only as a symbol. Keep in mind when watching that feelings are products of our rational mind; they do NOT represent reality and they are NOT the makings of our soul.

"From the words of Isaac the Syrian we see that what we call prelest proper exists when a man starts trying to live above his capabilities. Without having cleansed himself of passions, he strives for a life of contemplation and dreams of the delights of spiritual grace. Thus the wrath of God befalls a man; because he thinks too highly of himself, God’s grace is withdrawn from him and he falls under the influence of the evil one who actively begins to tickle his vainglory with lofty contemplation and [spiritual] delights..."







I agree with the electronic-sounding guy in the video--everybody, it is time to turn off the d@!$ television!!!

8 comments:

Justinian said...

I love that Dr. Clark Carlton calls her "that noted modern philosopher" in a tone that is mildly amused and mildly condemning.

Martha said...

This is stunning....I rarely watch her show (I have probably once in the past year), but I am so disappointed! Very sad.

::Sylvia:: said...

This is really shocking, I always thought she was old school Baptist. I guess even though she's attained everything she has, the desire for more still exists. I was a huge fan too. Was.

RcCola736 said...

Okra (Oprah) is the anti-Christ. :-p

BTW, if you're interested, I just added a new entry to my blog on here that you had found last year. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am in total shock, I thought she was a real christian. I wonder if all her fans know about her faith.
It's really scary. God have mercy, I am truly convinced that the end is coming. Wow, people are really deceiving.

Tony said...

I don't know how I missed this (I must've been really tired when I visited your blog that day). This is truly shocking, to say the least. I'll admit I was never fond of Oprah's show, but now this makes me worry all the more.

The biggest part to me is near the middle where she talks about her reaction to the phrase, "God is a jealous God" and then distorting the meaning of that passage based on her own subjective opinion. This sola scriptura of ignorance is what leads many Christians astray, and keeps many non-Christians out. The most remarkable thing is that at no point do they think of doing their own research instead of forming their own opinion based on a spur of the moment judgment. Can I blame this on the education system or the churches the person grows up in? I really don't know.

I really hope this doesn't grow, but I fear it will any way. All we can do is try and educate people of the correct path.

Anonymous said...

I read "My Stroke of Insight" in one sitting - I couldn't put it down. I laughed. I cried. It was a fantastic book (I heard it's a NYTimes Bestseller and I can see why!), but I also think it will be the start of a new, transformative Movement! No one wants to have a stroke as Jill Bolte Taylor did, but her experience can teach us all how to live better lives. Her TED.com speech was one of the most incredibly moving, stimulating, wonderful videos I've ever seen. Her Oprah Soul Series interviews were fascinating. They should make a movie of her life so everyone sees it. This is the Real Deal and gives me hope for humanity.

Marie said...

Let's not judge Oprah, people.
God didn't send His Son to condemn, judge or reject the world, but that the world might find salvation through Him. She is being deceived by the enemy. Oprah is a beautiful woman, created by God, and loved by God. If she really, really knew that, it would blow her mind! She has so many God given gifts and talents too, and He wants her to use them to glorify Him.
At the end of the day, no matter what a person chooses to believe - the truth or a lie - one day every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!
Let our prayer be that God will unveil her eyes and show her that He is the God of Mercy and Grace. God loves her (and all of mankind) with an everlasting Love.
But it's our choice to either receive His Love, or reject His Love.
I vote - Oprah, and the whole wide world, receive God's neverending, unconditional Love for you!
Oprah, and the whole wide world out there, you are fearfully and wonderfully made.
God knit you together in your mother's womb.
He knows the number of hairs on your head.
You are the apple of His eye.
His Grace, Mercy and Love towards you is unfathomable!
Our God is an awesome God!

We love you, Oprah!