30 November 2007

Kucinich hopes America will take a new direction

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Kucinich hopes America will take a new direction
By GARRY RAYNO
New Hampshire Union Leader Staff
http://www.unionleader.com/pda-article.aspx?articleId=cb905e6f-45fe-47d5-b894-3b1ff1a873ad

MANCHESTER – The United States' role in the world is the key question facing Americans as they prepare to vote for the next President, says Democratic presidential contender Dennis Kucinich.

"The new model for the paradigm is cooperation, not aggression," the Ohio congressman said. "I want to start calling America home over a period of time in cooperation with other nations."

Although he declined to say what overseas bases he would close first, Kucinich, 61, said the closure plan would be done in consultation with military leaders and discussions with the countries where the bases are located.

With technology today, he said, there is no reason to have military bases in far-flung corners of the world. "I want to see America take a different role," he said.

He would like to see the U.S. work with Russian president Vladimir Putin to dismantle nuclear arsenals and to help the Russians destroy their chemical and other weapons instead of encouraging revolts by the countries along Russia's southern border.

"America works best when it works from (a platform) of moral credibility," Kucinich said. "When we act like 'do as I say, not as I do,' we undermine our credibility."

He said he would not be a pushover with other countries. "I'm a street kid out of Cleveland, but I don't mistake strength as just having weapons," he said.

Kucinich, who is making his second run for the Democratic presidential nomination, has consistently opposed the Iraq War and has made that opposition the centerpiece of his campaign, whose theme is "strength through peace."

In meeting with editors at the New Hampshire Union Leader this week, Kucinich, who is serving his sixth term in the U.S. House, emphasized his proposal for universal health care with a single-payer system. He says his plan is "Medicare for everyone."

"Health care I see as a basic right, not as a privilege based on ability to pay," he said. The costs of premiums, co-pays and deductibles have put health care out of reach for millions of Americans, not just the uninsured, he said.

The country currently pays $2.3 trillion for health care and that should be enough to provide health care to all Americans, just as other industrialized countries do for their citizens, Kucinich said.

He wants to eliminate the profits and administrative costs insurance companies add to the health cost picture. He said administrative costs should be in line with Medicare, 3 percent.

Kucinich also wants to be able to negotiate with the drug companies to reduce the cost of pharmaceuticals, which the Veterans Administration does not, but he notes negotiations were forbidden under the Medicare Part D subscription drug program.

"I want to revitalized American industry and if we can't change health then it can't be done," Kucinich said.

People are more receptive to his message about universal health care this time, he said, because people are in "real financial trouble." He said New Hampshire and its grass roots tradition is the place for him to make his case.

All the other Democratic candidates for President are capitulating to the insurance industry, he said. He admitted his proposal would never make it through the current Congress and said that is why he would take his plan directly to the American people.

He said he is truly the only Democratic presidential candidate not indebted to the special interests. "There is a real choice (among candidates) if voters decide health care is essential in their lives," Kucinich said.

Asked if government should also guarantee citizens food, clothes, shelter and a job, Kucinich said no one should starve today in this country. He said government should ensure there is full employment, which is not the case now.

"Government has the responsibility of being the employer of last resort, particularly when the private sector keeps cutting jobs," Kucinich said. Government can make sure the mechanisms are there, he said.

But he noted, "Government can't do everything in society, I understand that. ... I don't look at government as Big Daddy, and I certainly don't want government to be Big Brother, either."

Kucinich garnered attention for introducing an impeachment resolution against Vice President Dick Cheney. Recently he said he will expand another resolution to include the impeachment of President Bush.

He maintains the administration has lied about the reasons for going to war in Iraq and has trampled on the constitutional rights and civil liberties of the American people.

5 comments:

Martha said...

He doesn't sound like he understands the word "democracy"...some of his ideas are good, but he is dreaming.

Brigitte said...

Would love to hear more of what you mean.

Anonymous said...

Government needs to start oversight. This DNC keeps making excuses not to do what the voters in 2006 called for: Conduct oversight, and expand reviews through an impeachment investigation.

The needed wakeup call to the DNC leadership: Until the impeachment investigation starts, credible threat that Pelosi will be challenged as Speaker is on the table. ( Details)

Martha said...

Your link (photo, text or whatever) didn't work.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious...Kucinich is someone I would NEVER vote for, not merely because I don't think he has a chance, but because I totally disagree with him! Has your husband served in the military (I think he did)...well my husband did and while he was in Iraq, he saw so many people who were honestly so thankful for the US. Rob's unit was leveling an area and building a school building, in 2005, they needed larger facilities since the girls would now be allowed to go to school. They worked with making the Iraqi Army, after the Saddam regime collapsed, everyone knows the government had to be rebuilt. Rob stayed in one of Saddam's palaces, the marble bathroom, gold fixtures, large indoor and outdoor pools, while there are others who have absolutely no chance to even have an education, you know it's wrong, so in my opinion the US was speaking up for human rights. Since we started this, we need to help them finish. There are military posts in many other countries, too and they are there for a good reason, obviously we have some in Korea, Japan and that area, seated strategically, because we all know that something could surprise us all out of North Korea...I won't go on about that. Kucinich's ideas about the healthcare system wouldn't work, we would have many bad doctors. I know the healthcare system even in Canada doesn't work nearly as well as ours, yes, everyone has health care, but people can be on a list for MONTHS waiting for a kidney and die. I also don't understantd his employment ideas. Everyone can get a job and it's not the government's job to supply jobs. I've seen the worst of this, personally, in the Army, there are many who join, merely to have the good pay and benefits, then sit there and do nothing...no one can threaten to fire them, because it's not done...only if they are seriously dishonorable or unhealthy, and they get the same pay (from OUR taxes) that a guy who is working hard does! It sickens me. I'm not making much money, but both my husband and I have to work right now, anyone can get a job, there are grocery stores, and restaurants all over the place that will hire even temporary help! You wouldn't believe how many illegal workers I know (from Russia, Mexico, Georgia), they can work hard, so can any other American.
It sounds like he wants to turn the US into a Communist country.

Brigitte said...

I appreciate your time in commenting and respect your thoughts. I have family in the military, though not my husband. In the end I do disagree with you; I can assure you that I am not being sarcastic. All I will say is that it is extreme to say that Kucinich (or any of the candidates, for that matter) wants to turn the US into a communist country. If you want to see real communist candidates, check out some of the parties looking for votes in Russia's next election (and I'm not talking about Putin's party). Now communism is something I am very familiar with being that my husband's family lived and suffered GREATLY under it (I won't go into details).

I really don't want to begin a debate. Politics is very sticky business which is why I never got into it before. I'm still wary. The fact is that we can never know the true intent of any candidate, nor can we know how the stress, pressures and temptations of power will affect him. I can choose the person who seems sincere and seems to have a good plan, but I will never swear by him. You just never know.

My main passion at this point regarding politics has stemmed from the NUMEROUS times already that I've heard people say, "I like so-and-so, but he doesn't have a chance so I'll vote for this other so-and-so." No matter who people are voting for, I just hope it is for the candidate that they feel will lead America to a brighter future.